Object Oriented Analysis Is An Oxymoron

Subject: Object Oriented Analysis Is An Oxymoron
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:32:15 -0700 (PDT)

Ronica:

UML - ykes!!! Be aware, Object Oriented Analysis
(OOA) is an oxymoron. OOA techniques mix analysis
with design. The main stated reason for doing such,
say the OOA gurus, is a clean transfer from analysis
to design. Unfortunately, the result is usually poor
analysis as a result of trying to do both analysis and
design at the same time.

TW's do not need to understand design considerations.
We deal with the end-user's experience. We need to
understand analysis.

Tony Markos

--- Ronica Roth <rroth -at- globusandcosmos -dot- com> wrote:

> Thanks for people's suggestions. Sharing what I
> learned, as promised.
>
> Couldn't find the Clemson list, but thanks to
> others' reminders to
> search UML and RUP, I've signed up for Rational's
> RUP user group and
> Requisite Pro user group.
>
> There was also the precise UML group, but that one
> seemed a little
> hard-core. Those are the people working on the next
> version of UML, and
> the top thinkers about SWDL. www.puml.org.
>
> The RUP list one has already been useful. Not sure
> yet how many general
> (as opposed to tool-specific) topics the Req Pro
> group will cover. We
> aren't using any tools at my company right now (I've
> only just
> introduced use cases, UML and JAD into the
> technology group here), so
> most tool-based lists aren't quite the way to go for
> me.
>
> And since these forums are hard to find on IBM's
> site, here are some
> links:

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com