Re: Writing technique (might previously have been literate minori ty)

Subject: Re: Writing technique (might previously have been literate minori ty)
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:09:43 -0400

Mailing List wrote:

> Oh, I know I can *find* a few stray posts if I search. That
> wasn't the point. Given the size of the health-care industry
> and the number of companies that are making diagnostic and
> treatment devices, drugs, solutions, potions, lotions...
> you'd think that they would be much more strongly represented
> here. As I said, other industries *are* represented on CE-L,
> but that's the editing perspective. Yet it suggests that
> those editors are editing the work of writers in those other
> genres, but we don't hear from the writers (here in the
> techWRITERs mailing list).

I wonder if it's due to the fact that the writing in the medical device
industry is highly controlled writing, with little leeway for writers to
tackle thorny issues themselves. I'm thinking about the extremely high
level of quality control because of government regulations and whatever
else might be involved in documenting a device that could kill you. Not
that the fit you have using Wonderware won't cause your heart to stop,
but, you know what I mean, don't you? I am pretty sure they are also
formally instructed to limit discussions about their work outside their
companies. Maybe they're here in the background, living vicariously
through your drama.

--
Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com