Re: MSWORD -> PDF Error Messages

Subject: Re: MSWORD -> PDF Error Messages
From: Suzanne -dot- Cole -at- pattersondental -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:10:16 -0500

Hi, Tom.

I agree with Dick's suggestion to turn off things you're not using in the
Acrobat settings. I've had particular problems with converting text boxes
to threads, because if you're not threading text boxes--that is, using them
to flow text from one page to the next, like a magazine article--Acrobat
seems to become confused about what to do with them. Since I never use
threaded text boxes (or, haven't so far) I leave this option unchecked.

I also do not check the 'embed tags' option because I know that my users do
not use PDAs or screen readers to read the PDF files I create. If you can
leave out tags, do, because they add a LOT of conversion time and a lot of
data to the resulting PDF file. Many people think the conversion has
stopped, because it can 'hang' at that point for hours, depending on the
content of the document. Try running it overnight to see if it completes.

Also, you mentioned you're using Word2002, Acrobat 5.0, WinXP, (etc.).

Are you actually using AA5.0, Tom, or 5.0.5 which addresses several bugs in
the original 5.0 version? (In the Help menu in Acrobat, click About Adobe
Acrobat which brings up a splash screen "Adobe Acrobat 5.0"--but look along
the top of the splash screen for the actual version.) If you don't have
5.0.5 I'd strongly recommend installing it.

Personally, I would not recommend 6.0, based on additional instability and
usability issues, but you might have to stick with it for Word 2002.
Everyone in the Acrobat user forums who can stick with version 4.05c is
doing so; its seems to be the most reliable version so far; but many who
upgraded from 5.0.5 to 6.0 recanted and went back to 5.0.5. For that
reason, I've not allowed the 'upgrade' to 6.0 here at my workplace.

Also for that reason, I haven't been visiting their user forum lately since
its topics seem to flow to the most current release, so few topics have
anything to do with the version I'm using. It's possible that they've fixed
a lot of the problems with 6.0 and I just haven't been aware of it lately.
Hopefully it works well for you.

Good luck with your projects.

-- Suzanne Cole

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com