Re: Object Oriented Analysis Is An Oxymoron

Subject: Re: Object Oriented Analysis Is An Oxymoron
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:38:54 -0700

Breathtaking, I agree. If tech writers were not concerned with the design
of the product, there would be nothing to say about "how to" do the tasks
the product is required to do. Knowing why a design emerged (as opposed to
alternative designs) is really the triple-distilled stuff--if you have that
information you can say all sorts of cogent, clarifying things to the user,
without which the product documentation is more of a blob out of focus, and
less of a bull's eye.

There is a trade off, of course. Documeting design considerations is a
labor of diligence by *>someone<* who attends dev meetings and gleans the
bits. Dev people take most of it for granted, and will absorb but not
record the bits that apply to their piece of the project, so they won't be
too concerned with documenting the design considerations. Still, there
otter be a person in the meetings who can diagram and write, to capture the
design. ...

Dogs afooot! I just don't know who could be tasked with that? Admin
assistant? Ideas? Let me know, please.

Ned Bedinger
Ed Wordsmith Technical Communications