RE: Why so few medical techwriters

Subject: RE: Why so few medical techwriters
From: Michael Strickland <Mstrickland -at- entriq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:05:38 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com

> Shannon is getting a BS degree in science with a minor
> in writing. She's graduating this December. As for a
> Master's in writing, my point is that it would be
> great for a tech writer, but I can't speak to the
> issue of medical writer.

Does anyone have numbers to back up the above assertion? Will a Master's
in writing gain any significant advantage in obtaining employment or any
significant increase in base salary or starting position?

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer
-----end Original Message-----

My impression is "probably not." When you factor in the cost of the degree
(probably measured in thousands of dollars), you'd need an increase in base
salary just to break even. I'm all in favor of higher education, but unless
it's relatively free (scholarships/grants, employer-paid, or inexpensive
institution), I'd recommend against getting an advanced degree that doesn't
provide technical (and thus useful/marketable) skills, such as a
medical/science degree, law degree, MBA, computer programming degree, etc. A
writing Masters, IMHO, is largely a waste of money.

(I hope I'm not starting another interminable debate. These are just my
opinions.)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com