RE: School vs experience... Was: Why so few medical techwriters

Subject: RE: School vs experience... Was: Why so few medical techwriters
From: "Ashaki Hamlett" <ashaki -dot- hamlett -at- la-z-boy -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:13:20 -0400

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I am currently pursuing a M.A. in
Professional/Technical Writing. A few of my friends from undergrad (B.S.
in Technical Communications) decided not to pursue an advanced degree.
We are all tech writers with the same years of work experience, but they
make considerably more than I do.

My point--an advanced degree is not a guarantee to a senior-level
position or higher pay.

*********************************
School is a starting point. Don't expect to be hired into a company at a
senior level with only school experience behind you. However, many
companies do expect entry-level candidates to have solid schooling.

I never went on to graduate school. I doubt I will. However, my
undergrad degree got me started quite well.

So, school is important, but IMO graduate degrees should be sought out
of personal satisfaction (in the tech writing biz) and not as a means of
getting ahead at work. Experience is what makes a good senior-level or
above employee, not education alone.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com