Re: Previous employer contacts

Subject: Re: Previous employer contacts
From: Lisa Wright <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:39:07 -0700

Timing is everything. I just got the new employee handbook for my company and it says:

"Former or current Employees and their prospective employers seeking employment references are directed to see to it that reference requests to <my employer> are made only to its Human Resources Department. The Human Resources Department will respond in writing only to those reference check inquiries that are submitted in writing. Responses to such inquires will confirm only the dates of employment, wage rates, and position(s) held. No employment data will be released without a written authorization and release signed by the individual who is the subject of the inquiry."

Based on reading this, it sounds like they won't release any information at all without a release.

I think I would cross out and initial the "Personal" part of the blanket statement below, just in case.

IANAL, etc.,
Lisa

peemo -at- hotmail -dot- com wrote:

Just want to run this by for your (collective) take on a couple of things:

Employer sends out application.
At end of application, there is a blanket statement saying in effect, that
they may contact references, past employers, and *anyone* else who might
know the applicant and ask them questions about "employment and *personal*
history."

I'm certain employment laws differ from state to state and I am not asking
whether the laws having an applicant sign this?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com