Re: Important Stuff They Don't Teach In Tech Writing School

Subject: Re: Important Stuff They Don't Teach In Tech Writing School
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:41:10 -0400

TechComm Dood wrote:
>>> but advocacy on the individual level
>>> is corporate suicide.
>>
>> As far as I know, nobody suggested "user advocacy" had anything to do
>> with users on the individual level. One would have to be a magician
>> to accomplish that, anyway.
>
> Very true, however all the support for user advocacy has been from a
> singular user perspective, or at least has been written with that
> context in focus (intentionally or no), thus my distinction.

When you say "all support," are you referring to this discussion or to
articles and books you have read?

To me, the term refers to an entire class of people (the people who will
actually use the application). There's that other class of people who
pay for the program but do not get within three feet of it but think
it's wonderful because of what they have been told or have read that it
can do to make *their* staff more productive.

It's not a phrase I use myself, because I think there are more precise
ways of describing what good technical writers do, but I have always
understood those who do use it to be using it as a shorthand for "I help
create a good product that the intended users will actually be able to
use."

Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA