Re: Installation guide for Enterprise application

Subject: Re: Installation guide for Enterprise application
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:00:30 -0700 (PDT)

> I work for a company developing an complex enterprise application
> that integrates with several other systems including databases and
> CRM systems. Most people in the company expect to be able to
> install and have the software running in 30 minutes or less and
> because that's not possible, are asking for an overhaul of the
> installation guide. My viewpoint, from having worked at other
> enterprise application companies, is that installation for these
> systems are a tricky business and usually are implemented by
> Does anyone else out there work on enterprise applications? Do you
> offer an installation guide? What assumptions do you make regarding
> the user experience? Any information is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like your marketing department has positioned the product
in it's product lit and marketing approach as something simple to
install and now it's turning out that there is more to it.

My suggestion is to make an assumption that the targeted user is more
knowledgeable and can handle anything that doesn't have to do with
your specific product. It might go something like this:

1) Install XXX component
2) Connect it to your database system
3) Install YYY component

where XXX and YYY are your product components.

Don't go into any detail on how to do anything database related or
how to do something that isn't your particular product...

...then let your support department address the issues when they
start coming in. Chances are, after you get done addressing the
issues in subsequent releases, you be back where you want to be.

=====
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

http://messenger.yahoo.com