Re: "This page intentionally left blank"

Subject: Re: "This page intentionally left blank"
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:32:36 -0400

Good god. Not this debate again.

While many on this list will agree with your appraisal of "TPLBI" pages, I
would humbly suggest that this list is not the place to seek help on this
issue. Unless you're writing software manuals for the general public.

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 09/02/2004 12:14:23 PM:
> I have been at my current company for almost a year.

So do you really have enough seniority to start questioning the
established procedure? Just after being made permanent is not the time to
start off on political crusades. ;)

> My goal is to get rid of this,

Your goal should be to produce the documentation that your
customer/audience expect. Start by identifying your audience, the
customer, and the history of the documentation you are producing and the
environment it is being used in.

> My question is:
> Can anyone think of a reason why we would have to keep
> this message? We
> are a major supplier in the automotive industry, but have
> no DOD sales.

While DOD is certainly a major player in the "TPLBI" field, it certainly
isn't the only one. Your documents probably have to be used in factories
and processes that have been around for quite some time. You have to look
at the requirements for deliverables as well as your own company's
internal processes and existing documentation.

Many factory/workshop environments have very visual and tightly defined
cues for the beginning and ending of procedures. I've virtually always
needed to include "TPLBI" and have had many other requirements involving
icons, pointing fingers, and all sorts of sometimes bizarre elements. But,
given the right strategy and tools few of these are truly difficult to
manage. Many can easily be automated.

When your documentation has to be worked into tens of thousands of
existing procedures you have to conform to the existing standard, not the
other way round.

> Looking for additional arguments, etc, anything that will
> make my case air-tight.

No such thing as a air tight argument for something that is so rooted in
history, tradition, and ultimately boils down to a largely subjective
decision of style.

For additional arguments pro and con, check the archives as this has been
brought up many, many times. But do realise that heavy equipment and
mechanical technical writing is very much in the minority on TECHWR-L.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com