Re: leading into a list

Subject: Re: leading into a list
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:54:17 -0400

Excellent. Then you agree with what my memory tells me Chicago 14 says
(not that you rule the universe, the other thing ...) and disagree
(apparently) with Microsoft 3.

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 21:44:38 -0400, Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>

> Actually, I did address it. When I play ruler of the universe, I use a
> colon _only_ when the last two words of the intro are "the following" (a
> phrase I do my best to avoid); otherwise I do not use a colon. In
> marcomm, when working in a telgraphic style, I sometimes use an
> ellipsis, but I can't think of any circumstance when that would be
> appropriate in tech comm.
>
> So, to answer you more directly, no, I don't use a colon, comma, or any
> other punctuation between a sentence fragment and a list. I use a period
> if the lead-in is a complete sentence and the list is grammatically
> independent of it. I'm a fan of single marking.

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com