leading into a list

Subject: leading into a list
From: "Wright, Lynne" <lwright -at- positron911 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:05:05 -0400

Well, since you asked for it, HERE's a "thorough" answer...

For procedures, we format the intro statement ("To do whatever") as a minor
heading, and it does not take a colon.

Intro statements for bulletted (or numbered) lists take a colon, because
they are setting the reader up for a list of related statements that
essentially are continuations of the intro statement... kind of conforming
to how you'd use a colon to introduce a series of phrases if it was
structured as a run-on sentence.

But how you punctuate list entries is nuanced, because, well, why should
there ever be a simple, one-size-fits-all answer when the anal and
drunk-on-power editor can sit around and devise a very convoluted one that
confuses lesser mortals?(ps. the editor in question would be me)

So if the list entries are phrases, each entry takes a comma at the end
(xcept last one takes a period), like this:

You can use the browser to:

- Sort column entries,
- Change the order of columns,
- Center the map on an icon.

The end punctuation defines each entry as a separate phrase.

If the list entries are short items (3 or fewer words that represent
objects), the punctuation is left off, because otherwise, each line starts
looking like too cluttered with punctuation. For example...

The navigation tools are:

- Pan
- Zoom in
- Zoom out

If the list entries are complete sentences, each one takes a period at the
end, because its a complete thought, ie:

Icons indicate different validation statuses:

- A green check mark means that the address is valid.
- A black question mark means that the address has not been validated.
- A screaming demon eating a live baby means that you have descended into
hell.

The logic behind the punctuation rules is that when the list items are
longer than 3 words, the comma or period provides the reader with an extra
visual clue that they have reached the end of that point.

Now, some might say that this is redundant, since when their eye gets to the
next line, they'll see a bullet.... but in cases where points can run into
more than one full line, the punctuation cues the reader to take a mental
pause, because congratulations... you just reached the end of one of our
long-winded list items! Prepare to procede to the next point! (This is
particularly crucial in our case, because in spite of my pleading, begging,
and expounding upon every graphic design convention applied in the outside
world, i was unable to convince my colleagues that we should add a bit of
vertical space between points in a list. They insisted that a huge block of
text jammed together tightly made more sense. OY!)

I think though, that this is one of those issues for which there are many
valid permutations and theories, all of which are perfectly acceptable. Each
style maven is free to go through long, agonizing process of research,
fasting, and pleading for divine intervention to determine what works best
for them.

Personally, i also think that list entries should only take initial caps if
they are full sentences or proper nouns, but this is another case where
you've got to turn your back on the strict rules of grammar/punctuation for
the sake of peace and sanity.

Lynne Wright
Technical Communications
Positron Inc.