RE: Placement of cautions in procedures

Subject: RE: Placement of cautions in procedures
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 15:11:21 -0500

-----Gene Kim-Eng wrote:-----
In this situation, I would make the caution part of the step, i.e.,
when you click on the link to the step, the caution should be at
the top of the page/frame/whatever that contains the step, prior
to the text of the step itself.

Gene, I agree wholeheartedly with both you and Eric Dunn. I just wanted to point out that this hyperlink issue is a design consideration for a document that will exist electronically in PDF or HTML (don't know how XML would handle it). You can't place a caution before a step without making sure that any hyperlinks take you to the caution so the user can see it before completing the step--assuming that the user would see the caution at all otherwise. That could get you into legal trouble as well.

My preference is to do as you said--to make the caution a part of the step. Step numbers are a logical divider between steps, so I don't think it's logical to place cautions before the step numbers. Doing that makes it hard to distinguish between the supporting information in the prior step and the so-important-that-you-have-to-read-it caution that goes with the next step. However, cautionary text should come before the instructions in the step rather than after so the user sees it before doing something that can't be undone.

The easiest way that I can think of for taking all of this into account is to put the procedure in a table with each step as a separate row. The first column could contain the step number and the second all of the text, including any notes or cautions in a logical order (caution first, instructions second, supporting text last). Whether or not the table had lines or shading would be a matter of style. It could have none and still be effective. Something to the effect of:

1. ! CAUTION - Do not look directly into the laser beam.

Position the laser...

This may look a little odd from what most of us are used to seeing, but I think it's effective. I'm working in Frame, but this could apply to other programs. Does anyone have any other ideas for how something like this could be implemented? Could it be done easily without a table? (The key word is *easily*.) Right now, we occasionally create cross-references to the step numbers ("Repeat step 5." OR "Continue with step 3.") Creating the cross-reference to a caution above a step wouldn't bring in the step number. I'd prefer to avoid awkward wording such as "Repeat the step where you had to..."

Just trying to get the creative juices flowing. :-)

Donna

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com