Re: Interoffice Relations/Work Productivity Dilemma

Subject: Re: Interoffice Relations/Work Productivity Dilemma
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 15:48:55 -0700

Quoting Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>:

> The point of not telling your users about these other potential hoops is not
> to prevent your users from doing anything, but to protect yourself from
> various
> complaints, filings and lawsuits if they do. If you look at the warranty
> statement
> from just about anything you've ever bought, it is almost a sure bet that it
> will
> contain some language along the lines of "<company name> does not warrant
> usage not in accordance with intended purpose of product."

I've worked closely on licensing issues with three or four lawyers, including
one who specialized in IP issues. Based on their unanimous opinions, I repeat:
such disclaimers in the licensing should not be considered enough to protect the
company. It's extremely rash - if also extremely widespread - to rely on such
disclaimers.

--
Bruce Byfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com