RE: PowerPoint Navigation Tools

Subject: RE: PowerPoint Navigation Tools
From: "Hauglie, Joe" <jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:25:20 -0500

Glenda McKinney asks for some ideas about using PowerPoint for lengthy
presentations.

I know that PPT has a Master template for both body slides and title
slides. While the files seem to work best when there is one title slide
and X number of body slides, the body slide master allows you to put in
an auto-number feature that can be preceded by whatever you want - your
initials, say, or a running section number. The result would be what you
describe as a suggestion (8-12, 8-13, etc.).

You might also just create a PDF with the internal hyperlinks. I know
that Acrobat has ways to do this, and I also know that there are other
PDF-generating tools that can do this as well. But either way, your task
would be to ensure that your slides are tagged and hyperlinked properly.
(The Acrobat forum on the Adobe website has a wealth of information if
you want to pursue that route.)

You may also be better off in the long run by pursuing an alternate
production tool besides PPT. Obviously, someone liked it enough to start
using it in the past, but at 600 slides per report, I cannot imagine why
there has been nothing said about finding another format. At the very
least, you might consider printing a PDF file of the "slide handouts" at
2 or 3 per page so that your customers can read the reports a bit
faster...

Respectfully,

Joe Hauglie
Technical Editor