similar, yet different

Subject: similar, yet different
From: Lisa Bronson <lisa -dot- infocus -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:04:48 -0500

I'm documenting a machine with two modules that are almost identical.
Some customers will order a machine with only one module; others will
get both so their production will be doubled; some will start with
one, then add the second later.

Under normal circumstances, I would prefer to document both modules,
but given time contraints, my plan at this point is to document the
base module and *only the differences* between it and the second
module. And maybe that's the better way to do it, anyway?

Has anyone ever written about something like this? How did you handle
it? Did you receive any feedback from your users as to whether it was
not enough (if you did it like I'm planning) or too much (if you fully
documented both sides)?

Thanks,
Lisa B.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com