Re: similar, yet different

Subject: Re: similar, yet different
From: Lisa Bronson <lisa -dot- infocus -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:29:15 -0500

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:53:42 -0700 (PDT), Leo Hill <leochill -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> My understanding is the (product) functions the same
> with one or two modules installed. The difference is
> that the production rate is faster with two modules,
> otherwise the function is the same. If this is
> correct, >>AND<< the majority of customers will
> initially order the (product) with two modules
> installed, then I suggest document that as the primary
> form this product is delivered to the customer.

Some amount of maintenance is different, too. For example, in the air
system, a solenoid on the base module might be number 1A, and the
corresponding (same feature) solenoid on the second module would be
2A. There is only one exception to that, where the solenoids serve a
different function on each side.

To answer someone else's question, I am using FrameMaker. I am also in
the process of learning how to use FrameScript for some fancy content
management, above and beyond what can be done with conditional text. I
do not want two separate books for this.

The way I see it after reading various comments is I have two options:

1) I can write about the base module and add a single chapter that
contains all the differences between the two modules.

2) I can write about the base module and insert notes about the second
module as applicable throughout the book.

For the way our users work (these are operators running the machines
and mechanics maintaining and repairing the machines), it would
probably be easiest for them to have the notes throughout rather than
in one section.

Or... (does anyone else find that some of their best ideas come while
trying to explain a situation to someone else? *grin*) Perhaps,
through content management, I could write the "Differences" chapter,
and pull pieces of it into the individual sections, thereby having the
best of both worlds... hmm... that actually seems like it might be the
way to go.

Thanks for all the great comments and ideas!

Lisa B.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com