RoboHelp and localization

Subject: RoboHelp and localization
From: "Leo Paoletti" <LPaoletti -at- webplan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:16:25 -0400

Hello,
I'm interested in using RoboHelp X5 to create a help system for our
web-based application. Specifically, I would create WebHelp output.

Our application will eventually be localized into four Asian
languages (Japanese, Tr. Chinese, Simplified Chinese, and Korean).
It may also be translated into German (and other European languages).

I'm worried about localization. I understand RoboHelp X5 is
available in a number of European languages; that is, both the
development environment and the output (for example, the navigation
pane) are available. No problem here.

My understanding is Macromedia recently dropped support for the
Asian languages. Does anyone know a workaround for the localization
team if my team uses RoboHelp X5 to create WebHelp output? I was
thinking that the localization team could use the English version of
RoboHelp. The output could still be WebHelp but it would be straight
HTML; that is, the navigation pane wouldn't use Java applets. If the
navigation pane was straight HTML, the Table of Contents/Index could
be renamed, and the Search disabled. Could this work? Will double-
byte characters display properly?

Does anyone have any other ideas? Perhaps the English source
documentation could be exported from RoboHelp and brought into an
Asian help authoring tool?

Are there any help authoring tools that support Asian languages?

Thanks,
Leo Paoletti
Webplan Inc.
lpaoletti -at- webplan -dot- com