Re: contract length

Subject: Re: contract length
From: James Barrow <vrfour -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:26:42 -0700

Hmmm...this is all good information, but a little astray of the
original topic.

The incident with the recruiter who had never heard of six-week
contracts was a one-time occurrence. From our telephone conversation,
I got the impression that she was either new to recruiting, or had
suffered some sort of head trauma recently. The incident with that
agency actually took a few more twists.

Although this recruiter seemed out of touch with reality, she said two
things during our conversation that piqued my interest.

First, she said that her company was one of the few companies that had
"Tier One" status with the client (Honda, if anyone is interested.) I
knew what she meant by this, but she did a pretty good job of
convincing me that she had an "in" at Honda that could make getting an
interview easier.

Second, she quoted an hourly wage that was at the high end of the pay
rate, whereas the other recruiters that I had spoken with, and
subsequently turned down, were quoting mid-range pay rates.

By the end of our conversation, I had changed my opinion of her and
thought maybe she had 'been there, done that' long enough to know the
ropes. So I authorized her to submit me to Honda.

After a few weeks, I contacted her to get the status. When she didn't
respond, I wasn't sure if she had submitted me or not, so I went with
the next recruiter that called. What ended up happening was the first
recruiter was incredibly slow, and had simply waited two weeks to
submit me...at the same time that the second recruiter submitted me.

Honda tossed out my resume thinking that I was 'pay rate shopping'.

- Jim

On Sep 17, 2004, at 8:49 AM, Sherry Michaels wrote:

Ned Bedinger wrote:
<<I think that an agency that deprecates short contracts is probably
indicating that they cannot make money on short contracts.
<snip>

Wow, I just couldn't resist response to this.

Understand that there is a difference between types of agencies and
recruiters. Understand also that there is a difference between business
models. <snip>

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com