Re: UK friendly? --- plus bonus joke!

Subject: Re: UK friendly? --- plus bonus joke!
From: "diotima" <diotima -at- myway -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:13:21 -0400 (EDT)

thomas wrote:

>Firstly, I am NOT British and would actually prefer documentation to

evolve into tonal arragements that were independent of "languages".

Secondly,

Other things that bug me are:

Analogue is spelt with a "ue".

Programme has two "m's" and a "e".

AND

--snip---

i never said you were british. in fact, your nationality was entirely irrelevant to me when i made my remark.

your "things that bug me about american documentation" comments remind me of an old steve martin skit where he's talking about the french. "it?s like they have a different word for everything!" he concludes. he says this like he?s shocked not only at the discovery of the fact, but at the *gall* of those french that they could do such a thing. my response to your comments was an ironic jab in that direction.

i'm too tired to come up with a good segue for this, but i have recently been thinking about technical writers as a group and if we have certain enduring stereotypes attributed to us. are there technical writer jokes? like, how many technical writers does it take to... or why did the technical writer cross the road... ?

from some of my experiences with other technical writers, i can imagine some of the more unflattering stereotypes and jokes about us. i have one that has just recently popped into my mind. as a technical writer myself, i hope i can share it without causing outrage.

q. what does it take to bug a technical writer?

a. very, very little.

;)

-diotima

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.