Re: contract length

Subject: Re: contract length
From: James Barrow <vrfour -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:15:31 -0700

Hmmm...I don't think my coffee has kicked in as I'm not understanding what you mean by 'If you haven't had the prerequisite job for the required amount of time, you cannot get the job.'

But, in answer to your first question, calls from contract firms always amaze me. I either receive dozens of calls, or none at all. Consider these polar-opposite examples:

Two months ago I allowed one of nine recruiters to submit me to Motorola for a contract position. While I was waiting to hear from the recruiter, at least six agencies called me per day. I eventually got an interview and did very well (I also met all of the necessary requirements.) I assume that Motorola passed on me as I never heard from them or the recruiter that submitted me. But to this day I still receive one to two phone calls per week for this position, and it's still active on Dice and Monster.

Last month I saw a position for a tech writer in a city that is approximately 60 miles from my home. The Dice description was far too brief, so I passed. As the weeks went by, I noticed that that job posting remained active (continually renewed), so I sent my resume to a recruiter. She called me almost immediately and sounded as relieved as if she had found the cure for cancer. She said that she had been searching desperately for a tech writer to fill that position for eight weeks. I mentioned that the required tasks were very basic (understanding of Word and good communication skills.) Still, she insisted that no one in their database met those requirements, and no one seemed interested in the position. It turns out that the client was Sony.

I couldn't believe that a company that large, who had sent the job request to a a dozen recruiters, couldn't get a response.

On Sep 17, 2004, at 9:48 PM, David Locke wrote:

So you have too many contract firms calling you?

Actually, the DPMA uses just such a job title system. If you haven't had the
prerequisite job for the required amount of time, you cannot get the job.
The job titles are absolute.

But, with bodyshops I know what you mean. One real job and you have
recruiters from all over the country calling you.

David Locke

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com