Re: Tech. Writing in Vancouver

Subject: Re: Tech. Writing in Vancouver
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:46:56 -0700

Quoting PX 4 <phoenix4 -at- email -dot- com>:

> Howz the tech. writing scenario in Vancouver - Canada, and what are the job
> prospects?

It's hard for me to say, partly because I don't only do tech-writing for a
living, and partly because I have a good string of contacts. However, I'd say
that the last six months have seen a turnaround. Certainly, I've seen more jobs
advertised in the field, and more new companies seem to be forming.

> Besides the STC chapter of Vancouver, is there any other specific Vancouver
> based mailing list of technical writers/Instructional writers? If yes, please
> let me know.

At least two dozen different high-tech groups have meetings on a monthly basis.
In my experience, these are much better than a writer's group for networking and
making contacts. If you wanted to, and had the money, you could go to a
networking event two or three times a week. Some of the groups include: WinBC,
E-learning BC, Techvibes, VanUE, and SOHO.

> Also, it would be great if anyone can provide pointers regarding Vancouver
> based companies & placement agencies who specializes in tech. writer
> hiring/placement.

Recruiters with whom I've had a good experience include:

- The Cadman Group
- Holloway and Schultz
- CNC Global
- Forbes and Gunn

If you're thinking of moving up here, the best thing would be to take a week or
two of vacation. Make as many appointments as possible during that time, and
check the cost of housing and food locally, too.

--
Bruce Byfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com