Re: Code comments as documentation?

Subject: Re: Code comments as documentation?
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:25:54 -0400

> Geoff, I do this (using code comments for documentation) and it works
> great. I add an introduction, information about the purpose of the
> different modules, why you should use them, how they can be used to
> produce x and y and then just provide the API descriptions extracted
> from the code.
>
> I'm lucky I guess, because playing in the code is not really an issue in
> my company, so I can really comment each class, method, parameter... As
> I would if I was doing it from scratch.

Same here, and yes, it works quite well.

I completely disagree with the statement "There's no reason you
couldn't embed this documentation in the code, other than code bloat
and the fact that it's
a hideously inefficient way to create docs." and feel Geoff's advice
is sorely misguided.

Wrapping in documentation at the source code level requires a slightly
different practice, but the fundamentals are all the same. This
practice is no more hideously inefficient than any other practice,
it's just different. And, as with any practice, how it comes out is
directly proportional to the thought and effort that went into
creating it.

I also have issues with the blanket assumption that developers hate to
document/comment their code. I've met some that dislike to do it, and
I've met others that deem it a critical aspect of their profession.

Honestly, I was left deeply disappointed with Geoff's reply, as
usually his advice is quite sound and on the level. Bad day, Geoff?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com