Re: OT: Office Chairs (Balance Ball Chair)

Subject: Re: OT: Office Chairs (Balance Ball Chair)
From: marijane -at- computer -dot- org
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:06:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Karen Casemier wrote:

> In light of the recent discussions on ergonomics, I was wondering if
> anyone uses a balance ball chair at work (kind of a "low tech"
> inexpensive option). See http://tinyurl.com/yrgky

I've used one of these for the last year or so. Before that, I used a
regular 75cm balance ball, without the wheel base, as a chair. I got the
one with wheels because I needed that kind of mobility in my office, and
because it takes up less space than the 75cm ball.

That's a pretty good price for that chair.

> I used a balance ball extensively for physical therapy when I was
> recovering from a broken neck, and was wondering if using this type of
> chair for even part of the day might help with some shoulder/back
> fatigue. It definitely wouldn't allow you to slouch, as you'd fall right
> off!

Yeah, it definitely promotes good posture. I decided to start using a
ball as a chair when I was having pains in my left shoulder after long
hours sitting at my desk. The ball has definitely helped me sit up
straight and my shoulder bothers me a lot less now.

I wouldn't say it doesn't allow you to slouch, though. It makes you less
inclined to slouch. At least, the one with the wheel base does. I find
it is indeed much harder to slouch on a ball without the wheels. A ball
without the wheels also provides a better "active sitting" experience, IMO
-- you can bounce and move a lot more. I used to have quite a lot of fun
bouncing and balancing on my 75cm ball while i sat at my desk. But the
wheels are very convenient, so I switched.

marijane

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com