Re: tooltips for web-based apps?

Subject: Re: tooltips for web-based apps?
From: Lisa Wright <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:55:36 -0700

A couple of points:

1. If they are internationalizing or localizing the other parts of the interface, then this is not really that much of a big deal. Well I say that. As long as they've done it correctly from a technical perspective, it shouldn't be a big deal. I won't attempt technical details because it's been awhile since I looked at it, but I know Java, for example, has mechanisms to handle this specifically. It will however add to the translation costs.

2. Why do you want to do it? You are probably adding cost to the product. What's the benefit, from the company's perspective? Do you have a maintenance plan that involves the technical people being responsible for maintenance, or do you envision you/your department having permanent responsibility?

3. Who's telling you that it would be a nightmare? Are you trying to push this initiative on your own, or do you have supporters in, say, the marketing department? Does the company have established interface standards, of which tool tips are an element?

Advice:
Fields, if they have labels, can be self explanatory, and the tool tips you provided are redundant and not worthwhile from a resource or user perspective. That said, I think tool tips for _buttons_ are well worth it, because you don't want to assume that your users are oriented to the iconography (is that a word?) of the interface. Tool tips for buttons should be included. Cite the numerous interface standards that are available. MS, Sun, Apple among others all have interface guides, plus there are numerous books on interface design. "GUI Bloopers" is a good one.

Oh, and do understand from a technical perspective what it would take based on the language/framework your developers are using.

MTC,
Lisa

lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com wrote:

My client has a web-based application with customized versions for their many customers. I would like to create tooltips for all of the fields and buttons on the UI, but I am told that this is a huge undertaking and a nightmare to maintain, particularly because of the customizations. For example, a field in a Canadian version of the app might be SIN, with the tooltip as "Enter your social insurance number without spaces," while in the US version the field would be SSN, with the tooltip as "Enter your social security number."
I don't see this as such a big deal. I imagine it as one big file that uses bookmarks that the app would hook to, and customization tags that would rip out all but the correct tooltip. While I am certain it would take a bit of effort to set up, once it was done, what would be the big deal?
What is your experience? How have you handled similar situations?
Please reply to me directly as I am on Digest.
Thanks

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com