Re: Executive Summary - Help!

Subject: Re: Executive Summary - Help!
From: David Castro <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:52:18 -0400

> I've been tasked with writing an Executive Summary, only I've never done this :>(
> Does anyone out there have a standard template that I could utilize? Would really
> appreciate the help.

I doubt there is such a thing as a "standard template" for an
Executive Summary. Basically, an executive summary is a short, concise
encapsulation of the most important aspects of the document, from the
viewpoint of an executive. In other words, if you summarize what an
executive who reads the whole document should get out of it in a short
bulleted list...that's your executive summary.

A few suggestions from my personal experience:

* use non-technical, simple words where possible; executives may not
know the jargon
* don't worry about building up to a conclusion...just give the
conclusion as though
it's been accepted
* use a bulleted list if appropriate
* don't worry about segues between paragraphs...just put in the facts;
brevity is more
important than style

-David Castro
thejavaguy[at]gmail[dot]com