Re: PageMaker vs. Framemaker (those who've used both)

Subject: Re: PageMaker vs. Framemaker (those who've used both)
From: KimberE -at- shakercom -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:23:04 -0600

Several years ago, we migrated our manual set from PageMaker to FrameMaker
because of FM's long document features and possibility of single sourcing
using WebWorks Professional.

There is no PageMaker to FrameMaker conversion path, but at least our PM
documents used styles, had a single text flow, and linked to all graphics
rather than embedding them. We were able to export the PM files to RTF and
import the RTF into Frame, although quite a bit of manual labor was still
required.

One of the key factors in our success was hiring a FrameMaker expert as a
consultant. He trained our staff (3 tech writers) and helped develop Frame
templates. The next step, single sourcing with WebWorks Pro, was more
complicated but was eventually successful as well. The learning curve was
steep and the software and training expense was significant, but I think
that would apply to other solutions as well.

Converting from PageMaker to FrameMaker is possible, but the long-term
future of FrameMaker is uncertain. You should consider the business needs
behind the change and investigate other options as well. For example,
David Neeley had an excellent point about SME feedback.

Please contact me off-list if you would like more information about our
PageMaker to FrameMaker conversion process.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com