Is it Belcamp? Somebody must live there...

Subject: Is it Belcamp? Somebody must live there...
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:26:35 -0400

We're a branch office, having been swallowed by a couple
of larger companies in succession. So today the Pres/COO
came by on a whirlwind tour of our cubes. In fact, I hear
that she caught an earlier flight out of Maryland, in
order to be here (in Ottawa, Canada) long enough to meet
people individually rather than just doing a group "Hiya"
in the cafeteria.

So, when she learns that I'm a/the techwriter for our
division, she makes a strange remark. "Ah, one of the
few. We're having a hard time getting enough writers
for everything."

I expressed surprise, noting that there seem to be
bunches of us lying around, under-employed, ripe for
the picking. Cheap, too. :-)

She asked for my card. Fortunately, I was able to lay
hands on a fresh, shiny SafeNet card, and not one of
the Chrysalis or Rainbow ones (previous incarnations
of this company/branch). Since she hadn't done that
with other people in the cube-hood, I get the impression
that she's actually got something in mind, and may
follow up.

The company seems OK, as companies go, so I think that
scarcity of tech-writers may be due to location of the
head office in Belcamp MD, and the fact that the writers
from the former Rainbow Technologies all went away
after the acquisition, while morale out in Irvine was
at low ebb.

This is not an ad. There are no actual positions at the
moment, but those who are lean and hungry might keep
their antennae tuned.

Before now, I would have thought that mergers and
acquisitions were times when writers and lots of other
people would be finding themselves redundant, but
apparently there's another perspective. Integration of
companies, especially companies that are geographically
scattered, takes some time, and it's not unheard of for
people at various divisions (in both the acquired and
the acquiring companies) to feel anxious, untethered,
etc. So they quit "ahead of the axe" and search out
greener, more stable pastures.

With integration mostly complete, half a year after the
merge, the resulting company finds itself short of some
skills that it *thought* it had acquired... or that it
just overlooked in the early excitement and confusion.

If you are currently un-/under-employed, take a look
around your area for local branches/divisions of
companies that are sporting new letterhead. Might be
some opportunities.

Kevin

--

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be
privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected from disclosure. If

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com