Re: Cross-referencing in Word

Subject: Re: Cross-referencing in Word
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:00:50 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patricia Oshea" <Oshea -dot- Patricia -at- orbital -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 12:45 PM
Subject: Cross-referencing in Word

>Some of our engineering Word documents have been coming in for
editing with
>what I believe is a cross-referencing feature that connects a
section to
>its reference number located in a table matrix in another section of
the

I haven't seen anything past Word '97, and Word may have changed, but
I expect my comments are still valid so here goes:

It is likely to be a "field" (cross refs use
the XREF field)--look in Word Help
for "show field codes", and it should tell
you how to toggle the display between
field codes and code results. Once you
get the field codes toggled On, you can
see which Fields were used..

I think I recall that access in Word Help
to deeper information about field codes
(like info about the optional flags for
each code) was not straight-forward.
I'd suggest you check the
"Related Topics" as you drill down
into help topics for Field codes.

Fields are pretty useful, but
totally worthless unless you have the
documentation for them. --.

The basic "Field" speedkeys in Word are:

F9 - Update the selected field

<SHIFT>+F9 - Toggle field code/result

<CTRL>+<SHIFT>+F9 - Break the field's link (no more field code)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com