Re: Extracting Text from Acrobat File

Subject: Re: Extracting Text from Acrobat File
From: Seth Johnson <seth -dot- johnson -at- RealMeasures -dot- dyndns -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 09:35:08 -0400

I wonder whether Ghostview will do that. Sometimes it works,
sometimes not:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

You need both Ghostscript and Ghostview:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/get814.htm
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/get46.htm

Under the Edit menu, there's a "Text Extract" option.

Seth Johnson

Cindy Hudson wrote:

> Good morning, all (or whatever time of day you may be in)
>
> Sales has given me a pdf file of a large table to turn back into text.
> (Because, of course, they didn't save the original file.) While I've done
> that before, this one is a stumper. Acrobat sees only the header as text. I
> can't use either of the text selection tools to highlight anything else.
> Exporting as rtf gets me a large graphic. Exporting as txt picks up only the
> header.
>
> Any ideas on fixing this other than thumping the sales guy for not saving
> the original Word file?
>
> TGIF!

exclusive rights.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com