Re: Tech Comm Survey

Subject: Re: Tech Comm Survey
From: sueahrenhold -at- ameritech -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:03:45 -0600

First, let's admit that this job wasn't new 10 or 20 years ago. Demand
exploded a few years ago, and is now returning to more historic levels.

1. How long have you been a technical communicator?
16 years
2. Have you noticed changes in software programs that you use? Explain
briefly.
I first wrote using vi and Troff on Unix - they're both still around, but
I don't use them much any more.
I've also edited on paper copy, and supervised keyers who entered into TeX
(very heavy math)
My first version of Word was 1.2. It crashed. All the time.
I also remember waxers. Still can recall the smell.
3. Have you noticed a change in salary? Explain briefly.
Yeah, I now get paid about what a junior MBA does.
4. Do the tasks that you complete now vary from what you did when you
began working in this field? Explain briefly.
I'm now much more into documenting hardware and hardware-software
interfaces. I like it a lot.
I get more of the scut work now - I type myself, proofread my own work
(bad idea), and find that many people don't have a clue what a good writer
can do.
5. How many times have you changed jobs or relocated? 5 job changes - two
were my idea - I've also had a company bought out from under me and
relocated, a company go from 100 to 10, and once was laid off when all the
writers who made over 50K were dumped. Judging by the documentation I've
seen recently, they're getting what they pay for.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com