Re: TW and QA

Subject: Re: TW and QA
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:02:33 -0700

I can't speak to aerospace processes today, but in the 1970's-1980's
when I was in the industry, it was extremely rare for one-off projects
such as the one described to have "assembly manuals." Such documents
were usually found in systems involving multiple units, particularly for
those involving field installation and service procedures that would be
performed by non-engineers, such as uniformed service personnel.
Prototypes and one-offs were usually assembled to drawings prepared
by systems integration engineers (because they almost always involved
components from multiple contractors).

Perhaps Dan's point was that the errors described happened because
there were no TWs and manuals involved ("the drawings are not correct")?
But I'm not sure I'd agree with that, because in the absence of good
post-assembly/preflight testing, the errors in incorrect design drawings
just tend to be propagated into manuals prepared from them. As a
former test engineer, I would say this article actually is an argument for
more resources for that activity. :)

Gene Kim-Eng