Re: Single Source: Yay, Nay, or TBD?

Subject: Re: Single Source: Yay, Nay, or TBD?
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:58:10 -0400

> I am wondering what people think of single sourcing.

Loving it. Been doing it for 6+ years now.

> I am on the fence about it -- leaning heavily towards not yet convinced that
> it "works" for all documentation types.

Sure it does, if you set it up right. ;-)

> For example, I don't like the idea
> of converting my hardcopy user guide into an identical online version.

That's not single-sourcing. That's repurposing. They are quite
different, and have their own useful purposes.

> I feel that online documentation (Help, etc.) is used and learned differently
> (from the user perspective) than it's hardcopy counterparts.

You're absolutely right, and single-sourcing allows you to reuse as
much info as necessary to satisfy both requirements.

See the following for more information:

http://www.soltys.ca/techcomm/articles/the_joy_of_single-sourcing.html

http://www.stcsig.org/ss/articles062002/6_02_when_to_ss.htm

http://www.stcsig.org/ss/articles032003/intro_to_ss.htm