Re: Samples Query

Subject: Re: Samples Query
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:48:49 -0700

Michele Davis wrote:

Hello all,

Last year I created a calendar called Minnesota's Finest. I digitally altered the women, and I designed it, then made a Flash website for my client. I've shown this is a sample of my graphic design because it is a really well done calendar, sold a lot in Barnes & Noble, etc.

Well, lo and behold TWO people this week disqualified me for having it as a link on my website. The men at Firm A called it a "girlie" magazine and said that since I have bad judgment to have a sample like that on my website then what type of "bad" judgments would I make in the office. The woman at Firm B called it "pornographic." And, obviously, since she thought it was porn, I wouldn't be a good fit.

Both of these positions came through recruiters AND the recruiters had seen this sample prior and did not find it offensive. Both recruiters were woman.

So, what to do? Bury it on my site so deep it will be hard to find? Dump the sample altogether? Argh! I don't know what to do and am feeling frustrated.

For all the Internet to see, it can viewed at: www.krautgrrl.com/mnfinest.php

Michele,

I came late to this thread (as usual), and I think I read another post that said you decided to bury the material. If so, I hope you change your mind. I don't know how bad you need the work (I know it's rough these days), and I haven't seen the samples, but my initial reaction to both those situations is that neither of those is a place you want to work.

The response of at Firm A was sexism and the response at Firm B was judgmental.

What's interesting about the whole thing is that some of the very best web programmers have done cutting edge work in the adult industry (not that your work fits that category). You might try to take comfort in the knowledge (even though it hasn't really worked for me) that their puritanical attitudes means that they lost their chance to get top talent. And what does that say about *their* business judgment to turn away talent based on their personal prejudices?

Their loss.

Chuck Martin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com