Re: Samples Query

Subject: Re: Samples Query
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:12:38 -0700

Quoting Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>:

> > By implying that it takes moxie to get past that portfolio piece to
> > determine that Michele was the best person indicates to me that the
> > piece in question is an impediment to being hired, rather than being
> > helpful. Or am I misunderstanding?
> >

> You are misunderstanding. It is only an impediment to being hired by
> people I (and perhaps Michele) wouldn't want to be hired by.

This argument seems somewhat beyond Michele's point. Michele says that she told
the interviewers the nature of the sample before showing it. They agreed to see
it, and then denounced it.

No matter what anybody thinks of the sample, this behavior seems wonky to me.
It's a little much to reject somebody on the basis of something that you didn't
have to see. I can't help wondering if it's a little hypocritical, too, if they
didn't enjoy the sample, then distance themselves from their enjoyment by giving
the appropriate reaction. It's not so much any prudishness that makes them less
than ideal employers, but this bit of unfairness. Frankly, if I worked for
somebody like that, I'd be wondering whether and when they'd be shifting blame
on me.

As for whether showing the sample was good judgement: You might argue that
Michele could have shown better judgement by not having it in her portfolio at
all, but she did show some sense of judgement in not just giving them the sample
unprepared. So the response was not only unfair, but also not entirely true.

--
Bruce Byfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com