Re: Telecommuting and return of the natives

Subject: Re: Telecommuting and return of the natives
From: shankAtIndiaDotcom <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:34:51 -0700 (PDT)

> other industries have to pay to transport their
> materials and
> commodities -

Interesting thought: but it is not the industry
that is getting the subsidy; it is the vendors
(tech workers) transporting their (brain)ware,
won't you say?

> yes, tech workers are becoming
> commodities.)

Didn't some philosopher (or was it a historian, i
forget - karl someone) say that all work (labor)
is a commodity?

> telecommuting. Still, I can't compete with
> $6,000.00 a year.

I don't know the burger-based currency comparison
system well, I use the beer-based method:
accordingly, a US dollar is perhaps 10 rupees
(Indian money) or so. Exchange rate is $1-45Rs.
So, it is likely 30k annual, not 6k. (as against,
say 60k for a us tech worker)

That is a large enough saving; then savings on
operational costs (in spite of all infrastructure
issues, a well-run joint in India costs only a
third what it would in CA). Even the biggest
companies, if at all they stock up coke etc.,
collect nominal prices for doling it. Only coffee
is free, this shore :-(

Other things such as obedience at work place are
also at play.

Also, for executives to visit India is not such a
nightmare now, as it - presumably - was thought
to be say in the early 90s and before.

Offshoring must be looked at with the influx of
techworkers from all over, a good many from India
- in the nineties. I don't think a lot of people
are going to u.s. from India now, to work.

Also there are a number of senior people - having
done long stints in the u.s. returning home.
==

http://vote.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com