RE: Samples Query

Subject: RE: Samples Query
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:59:44 -0400

Okay, if we're talking about a situation where a prospective employer is actually asking me to conform to a set of values that I find offensive, I certainly wouldn't pretend to conform to those values to get the job. In fact, I can give you an example. Long ago, I had interviews at several Christian-oriented colleges, and they asked what church I went to. Even though they may not have been allowed to ask that, I always gave an honest answer -- that I tended to choose a church based on how good a speaker the minister was, because I didn't want the sermon to be something I suffered through -- because I figured anybody that would have a serious problem with that would be someone I shouldn't try to work for.

However, there is one value that seems to be pretty much universally accepted in the business world, which is that all references to sexual/erotic/risqué-type subjects should be kept out of the picture whenever possible (except, of course, in the offices of certain magazines). So this is a value that I would think most folks would instinctually conform to -- and if anybody has issues with conforming to it, well this might be the one place where I feel justified in saying you'll have to conform if you want to be gainfully employed.