Telecommuting

Subject: Telecommuting
From: "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:51:33 -0400

I am currently telecommuting, and telecommuted in my last job as
well. I am not a contractor though (or working offshore). I am a full time
employee.

I didn't start off as a telecommuter though. After I have proven myself as a
reliable hard worker who always meets deadlines, I presented a business case
that showed telecommuting as a win-win situation for both of us. I also
included measurements in the plan.

For reference I used the Smart Valley Telecommuting Guide:
(http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/netsolutions/find/telecommuting/)

I work for a company that has the attitude if they don't see you working,
then you aren't; however they approved me to telecomute, and even drew up a
contract that listed expectations, etc. If I start screwing up (missing
deadlines too often, etc.) they will pull me back into the office.

I have been telecommuting for this company for almost three years.

My advice for people who want to telecommute - find a job where you can
build trust and respect and work on getting them to let you telecommute. It
is so much easier to get those freelance/contract telecommuting jobs when
you can prove a history of successful telecommuting.

Suzette Leeming
Working for a company in Markham, Ontario
Telecommuting from Keswick, Ontario

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com