Sentence structure?

Subject: Sentence structure?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:57:40 -0400

Brigitte Johnston wondered: I keep coming across this type of sentence structure when editing reports at my company (here are 2 examples): 1. "Analysis is the key to ensure that you are focusing your company's investment on the most important concern." 2. "Identifying the presence, type, and level of risk currently existing in the workplace is an essential step to reduce risks in the workplace.">>>

For an editor, my knowledge of grammar jargon is shamefully poor. With that caveat, here's how I'd describe the problem: The author is mistakenly using an infinitive form (to ensure/reduce) instead of a present participle (ensuring/reducing). The infinitive can be used, and used effectively, but the sentence structure must change to an imperative form to accomodate that form: "To ensure/reduce..., analyze/identify..."

<<But I would word them this way: 1. "Analysis is the key to ensuring that you are focusing your company's investment on the most important concern." 2. "Identifying the presence, type, and level of risk currently existing in the workplace is an essential step toward reducing risks in the workplace.">>

Both are a bit longer and more descriptive than necessary. Context seems to be a newsletter of some sort rather than procedural information, so perhaps that's appropriate. However, there's too much "is key" and "is essential" if these phrases are representative of the larger work. It can safely be assumed that you wouldn't be emphasizing either point if it weren't important, thus it's redundant to keep saying that it's important. Restrict that emphasis to the most important points.

There's also a weakness in doubling your verbs: "ensuring that you are focusing" could easily become "focusing". If you're focusing, you've already ensured that you're focusing. "Ensure" is important if the emphasis is on making sure, rather than on focusing, but that seems unlikely.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com