Re: Interviews & red flags

Subject: Re: Interviews & red flags
From: "Janet Swisher" <swisher -at- enthought -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:26:02 -0500

David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> For me, a Mensa membership claim would provoke a little additional
> scrutiny of an applicant, for over the years I have found that a
> fairly significant percentage of active members have some difficulties
> in interacting with others.

Speaking as a Mensa member, I have to agree with this assessment :-)

If I saw Mensa membership listed on a resume, I would wonder why the person
chose to expend valuable resume space on evidence of their aptitude, rather
than filling the same space with evidence of their achievements. As an
over-generalization, people often gravitate into Mensa if they don't run
into other smart people in the course of their professional and social
lives. While this can be due to a number of factors, a notable one is being
an underachiever, so that would bear closer examination.

I live in a university town, but very few active members in the local Mensa
chapter are academics, even though many professors would qualify. Professors
deal with other smart people every day, and tend not to need to seek more.
There is a relatively high number of members in this chapter who are state
government employees. Those individuals may themselves be dedicated
high-achievers, but they may be in an environment where they are not always
surrounded by the best and the brightest.

(I met one person in Mensa who worked as a janitor. I never found out why he
was in that line of work rather than one that would use more of his
intellectual talents. However, it might have been related in some way to the
stories he told about smuggling drugs while he was in the military.)

I renewed my Mensa membership after my divorce, following a lapse of some
years, thinking of it as an avenue for meeting new people. However, I've
expanded my social circle in other ways, and never got around to going back
to a meeting.

--Janet

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com