Re: website

Subject: Re: website
From: oudeis <oudeis -at- tampabay -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:12:22 -0400

At 12:48 PM 10/22/2004, Michele Davis wrote:

All comments help! The graphics are used as place holders currently, and then they will be cleaned up in PS and Flashed. Someone said that I should have used the CSS to do layout instead of tables, but the tables were already there from the previous structure---any reason to recreate the wheel?

I'd recommend CSS if _only_ because you may be able to pick up a few clients by explaining that their site isn't up to Web standards. As a designer, you'd want your own site to demonstrate that you're on top of CSS standards. With a few tweaks, just pull the CSS you're using in your blog. The basic structure is there, just plop the content into the appropriate place.

For me, designing with CSS is just so much more flexible and a site always feels cleaner to me.

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/tables-vs-css
"A Fight to the Death: Tables vs. CSS" <http://www.sitepoint.com/authorcontact/369/1339>

By Sergio Villarreal

(of course, google "tables vs. CSS" to find opposing arguments)

I'm still thinking about side navigation. Personally I've just never liked it, even though surveys say...

Maybe links on top like the admin page of my blog? or Rageboy's blog?
or http://www.joankennedy.com/press.html???

I'm not sure. Is there an absolutely compelling reason to do side navigation?

As long as it's top or side you're ok. The links to get deeper into your site need to be in the first screen --no scrolling down. When you have navigational links at the bottom, you force the user to scroll down to find them.

Having to scrool frustrated me because I was expecting it and it wasn't there. I imagine it would make the typical user just back out of the site to look for some other designer that does things the 'normal' way. :)

I can't remember where the material is now--though I can search for it if you'd like--users like right nav best because there's less mousing. Designers still go with left nav because, well, that's the way it's done--though there was no compelling reason at the time the left nav convention was created.

If you don't have a lot of info to organize, top nav is great. (Just don't use image links like the joankennedy.com page!)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com