Re: Virtual Machines for training

Subject: Re: Virtual Machines for training
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:57:08 -0500

Windows XP, as I recall, takes well over a gigabyte of memory to run
properly in a virtual machine (according to a colleague). If you run
XP through VMWare on top of XP, the result will appear to run very
sluggishly. Then, when you add Internet latency issues, your
application, and the overhead of the remote software--you have a
recipe for a very unsatisfactory solution.

(You do know, right, that VMWare will not help with the remote portion
of your problem?)

That's why I'd stick with the remote software running directly on the
headquarters host. If necessary, you can set up the machine at
headquarters in a "locked down" status, so that power-cycling it would
eliminate any changes made by the users in training. For what you
describe, that would be the simplest solution, I think.

David

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:05:06 +0200, Sonja Marnewick <sonjam -at- medemass -dot- com> wrote:

> So this defeats the object of trying to overcome the problem of inferior
> training machines heh?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com