Spam, Tech Writing, and Alien Invasion

Subject: Spam, Tech Writing, and Alien Invasion
From: James Barrow <vrfour -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:54:10 -0700

Every once in a while I receive email that makes me scratch my head until it produces that Elmer Fudd *squeaky squeaky* sound. As was the case this morning when I opened an email from a recruiter looking for Business Analyst/Tech Writer. The email sounds more like a pyramid scheme than a job opportunity:

>>James,
We have a sure shot opportunity for the following , I kindly request you to mail me your latest updated resume in word format with the hourly rate .ASAP.<<

A 'sure shot opportunity'...that makes me a bit uneasy. I don't think that Junk Bond lingo should be used when asking someone for their resume. As if this wasn't odd enough, check out the signature that was included at the bottom of the email:

>>Under Bill s.1618 Title III passed by the 105th U.S. Congress  this mail cannot be considered as "spam" as long as we include contact  formation an a  remove link for removal from our mailing list. In order to not be  in the recipients-list for this mail, please revert to us with "REMOVE"  either in the subject or in the mailbody. Please include all pertinent email
 addresses. Our apologies for any inconveniences caused by this mail.<<

Apparently the Senate did not pass this Bill (or maybe I'm misinterpreting this):
<http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/spam_and_law.htm>

I think I'll report this as Spam, or maybe I'll report this to SETI (Search For Extraterrestrial Investigation.) The reference to 'contact formation' makes me REALLY uneasy:^)

- Jim

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com