re Fonts?

Subject: re Fonts?
From: "nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:59:39 -0400

> Hello, our office is trying to decide upon a standard Font to
> use for our manuals (we are at the beginning stages of creating
> our style guide) For my knowledge, what usual fonts are you using?
> Thanks.

What's right for us may not be right for you. First
you need to determine (if you haven't already) what you
want the font to give you, both in terms of technical
capabilities and in terms of image. For example, is
it important to use a standard font that's on everyone's
computer? Is it important to use a font that's readable
at very small sizes? Do you want the same font for
headlines and for body text? Does it need to be related
to the font you use for advertising? Do you want it to
be comfortingly familiar? Do you mind if it is boringly
familiar? Do you have a budget or are you limited to
free fonts? And being (evidently) a European operation,
are you to be guided by European tastes above all else,
or are you looking to imitate America, or are you looking
for something geographically neutral? I'm sure there are
more questions I've forgotten; a good designer should be
able to provide guidance...

Mark L. Levinson
Herzliya, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il

http://mail2web.com/ .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com