Re: The End Of Technical Writing

Subject: Re: The End Of Technical Writing
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:07:13 -0400

Tony Markos wrote:

Key concept: Data Flow Diagrams have nothing
inherently to do with computer systems analysis or
design. DFDs where first used almost fifty years
before the computer was invented. In the late 1890's
there were no software functions, just people and
their tasks.

DFDs can be used for tech comm of computer systems,
but they can just as easily be used to document
completely manual procedure.

Tony,

Do you Freddy Eynsford-Hill, the character in My Fair Lady? At one point Liza Doolittle sings to him:

Words! Words! Words! I’m so sick of words!
I get words all day through;
First from him, now from you!
Is that all you blighters can do?
Don’t talk of stars
Burning above;
If you’re in love,
Show me!

So, Freddy, er, Tony, show me. You've told us about the history of DFDs, but some examples would be nice. 8 x 10 color glossies. The works. What the dickens (or shaw) are you going on about?

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com