About Data Flow Diagrams

Subject: About Data Flow Diagrams
From: Kate Stout <stout -dot- k -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:01:27 -0400

While I'm not sure I buy into Tony's "DFD's are the best" level of commitment, I think using analysis techniques to describe the systems you are working on has great value.

I worked at a company back in the 80's that had tools for creating DFD's, State diagrams, and other analysis tools, for designing software and real-time hardware systems. These techniques are now also seem in the cluster of analysis techniques used in UML. I've found that any attempt to describe the system in a structured way helps in the understanding of the functionality, possible issues and interaction patterns. The techniques can be applied at the end-user or software level.

Ideally, the systems analysts and systems designers are using some appropriate set of these techniques to figure out what they should be building and how they should be building it. In reality, they often don't have the time or the management support to do so. (In fact, does anyone remember the job of system analyst? Someone who figured out the what before figuring out the how?) So having a writer do this analysis for all or some parts of the system has merit. It helps to clarify interaction, and it may clarify design issues.

One thing to realize about the analysis techniques is there are a lot of zealots out there. For example, I've been involved in 3 hour discussions about whether a 1-to-many relationship in Data Model Diagram should be represented by a line like this
----> or this <---->>.

I recommend avoiding those fights (do whatever the locals do), and find techniques that work for you. Here's some techniques I find useful.

Use cases
----------
A task a user will perform using the system.
http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/systemUseCase.htm (note that this one is done textually)
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/co-design5.html

These most closely relate to end user documentation - What are the steps the user performs to perform the task.

Data Flow Diagrams
------------------
How data (information) will move through the system
http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/dataFlowDiagram.htm

Data Model Diagrams
-------------------
The relationships between data components.
http://www.essentialstrategies.com/publications/modeling/chen.htm

Most useful when developing APIs to ensure that your objects are consistent throughout the system, and to give the user(a programmer) what the relationships are.

State Transition Diagrams
-------------------------
How status (state) changes in the system. Imagine a banking system where your account status changes based on various events (adding money, paying out money... etc.)

Bastardized Flow Charts
-----------------------
I never really do all the details/paths of a flow chart, but they can be very helpful in providing an overview of how things work.

Regarding tools
I'm in favor of doing first drafts on paper, or on a whiteboard. In fact one of the most powerful things you can do is give a quick explanation of the notation you are using, and do the first couple of bubbles of a diagram, and then hand the pen over to one of the team members. Suddenly, they are in control.

I like to then transfer the rough drafts into a drawing tool - I've used everything from specialized design software to Visio, to Powerpoint. I think it's useful to get the picture into a format that it becomes easy to manipulate. From there it's easier to circulate and make changes. In one place I worked, they actually checked these into the source control system as parts of the design documents. I can also use these, in a simplified/prettied up form in documentation, white papers, etc.

For me, this is also a comfortable thing to do - I can make most drawing tools do what I want (especially if I keep it simple.)

True Story
I was working on a contract for a company that had a product that was very hard to use. They had designed it in such a way that it exposed a lot of the details of the database structure, rather than using a task orientation. The target user was a shipping clerk, so there was a huge mismatch. In order to understand one task, I ended up drawing a simple data flow diagram. This started out as a way for me to understand things, because it was a very complicated product. By drawing it I realized much better how things worked. In fact, things became so clear to me that I thought it would be helpful to put a simplified version of the DFD into the end user documentation. I added some simple colors to the diagram so that it fit in with the book design, removed a couple of the more obscure paths, and put the picture in the book.

The VP of developement showed up in my cube a couple of days later, demanding to know who had told me to do this. He seemed very angry, and I thought I was in deep doo-doo. So I told him my story. He then said, "Do you know, this is the first time it's been clear to me how this works? And I now realize that we've got a serious problem if <a certain set of events> occur in the system!" He then asked me to show the other writers some of the analysis techniques, and we started using them in a simplified way in the documentation of complex tasks.

So to me, there's merit in the approach. But as in everything, a bit of moderation is useful. I don't buy into one technique, or one tool. As is the case in most of what we do, it's really about effective communication. If your technique and tool match your groups needs, then you've got a useful approach.

Kate

Kate Stout Consulting
Making it clear...
Technical Writing and Training