Defeating the evil that is Marketing <g> (Take II)

Subject: Defeating the evil that is Marketing <g> (Take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:00:22 -0500

Just to be perfectly clear on this, I'd thought that the <g> (grin) in the subject line combined with the tone of the message would have made it clear that I wasn't fully serious in my original post on this subject. Evidently not. A few points now, more seriously:

Marketing is clearly essential to setting any company's product release schedule because if customers don't know about a product and feel convinced they should buy it, there's no income coming in to pay _anyone's_ salary. But because marketing is forced to focus on the urgency of shipping a product to provide income, they often lose sight of more important factors--in the example I provided, the fact that the finest marketing in the world can't sell a product that sucks, and that short-term thinking can lead to long-term failure if you establish a reputation for cruddy products.

Engineering and other "development" roles are clearly crucial to any company's product release, because without them, there'd be no products to ship, and because only the developers know when a product is ready to ship. But developers often have the user-empathy of a clam*, most have no training in usability or interface design, and in the face of tight deadlines (often but not always marketing-driven) and incompetent management, often have to cut corners they'd rather not cut.

* There's an old joke: What do engineers use for birth control? Their personalities. (Speaking as a former forester, and thus a tree-hugging engineer...)

We techwhirlers, proudly bearing the flag of user's advocate, often think we're the solution to both problems. "If only everyone listened to us," we opine, "software would be perfect, and would ship on time." There's some justice to that attitude, since at least in principle, we're the ones whose sole purpose in life is to help people use the product--and we all complain loudly at the drop of a hat that we can't do that with crappy products.

The reality is more complex. The correct shipping date is one that lets the engineers develop a usable, safe, and stable product, accompanied by good documentation, in time to meet the payroll. It seems obvious that the only way to set such a date is for all three of us (marketers, developers, and user advocates) to work together to set an appropriate date that balances all three sets of needs.

Unfortunately, a combination of incompetent management (cf. Dilbert) and a lack of willingness to work together often mean that one of the three (never us) dictates the schedule to everyone else. I suspect this is the real reason so many products suck.

Here's a crazy notion for how things could be better: Marketing tells us when the product needs to ship so that we can meet the bills. The developers focus in on the key set of features they can deliver by that date, and estimate that feature set very conservatively, so when the inevitable surprises arise, there's still time remaining before the deadline. The techwhirlers (or usability experts) help the engineers to polish the interface ("measure thrice, cut once") so that the interface freezes right from the start; the developers then focus on the actual plumbing, and leave the interface alone so it can be documented. No new features are added ***ever*** before the shipping deadline. "Cool new ideas" get added to the wish list for version 2, and are ignored until version 1 ships.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com