Re: Moving from IBM to Mac

Subject: Re: Moving from IBM to Mac
From: William Gaffga <wilg -at- gibbscam -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:32:55 -0800

FM 7 on Mac Os under Classic runs very well. However, The Mac version (7.0) is no longer available from Adobe's site. I don't know where you'll get it. Also, only the standard version of WebWorks Publisher is available on the Mac, the Pro version doesn't exist. If I recall correctly, the Java Help is created from the Pro version. Now, JavaHelp is platform independent <http://java.sun.com/products/javahelp/faq.html>, but I don't know what tool is supported on Mac OS X as I don't develop Java stuff. You might want to start looking here <http://java.sun.com/products/javahelp/industry.html>.

One big issue when moving from Windows to Mac or *nix will be fonts. Unless you are using OpenType fonts now, you will need to get new fonts or change your documents to use available fonts. Other than that, I have not experienced any issues between PC & Mac with fonts (except when someone tries to override our fonts or improperly adds content in another font we don't have ... then you have to chase down the offending font and eradicate it. Sometimes that is a real PITA.)

HTH.

Will.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com