Usability abuse?

Subject: Usability abuse?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:14:55 -0500

Time to jump back in here. First off, there's no question that there is an emerging profession of usability testing and that there are usability experts who make products better. I'd say the profession isn't yet nearly as mature as (say) medicine or engineering, but it's headed there fast. Moreover, there's no question that someone who has studied usability and knows how to assess and improve it can greatly improve a product.

The more interesting question is whether an amateur can do the same thing. The answer is more complicated, but may surprise you. Andrew Plato wrote: <<I can use a car, does that mean I am a auto mechanic? No. A car is a tool. Just like a software application. My ability to use a tool does not mean I understand or are skilled to start redesigning or repairing that tool.>>

This is certainly true, as far as it goes. But let's go one step further: You can certainly tell the designers that the steering wheel it too hard to turn, that you can't reach the radio without taking both hands off the wheel, that you can't see into the "blind spot" when you turn your head (because of support pillars, for example), that the sun visor doesn't actually block the sun for key parts of the day (as is the case on my Honda Accord), and so on.

Think of this as being a canary in a coal mine: You may not be a usability expert, but you can certainly tell when something doesn't work well or at all, and ask an expert why and what can be done about it. You are also more of an expert in how _you_ use a tool than any product developer can ever be. If the way you work is broadly representative, and you experience problems, then many other users will experience similar problems--that makes you an expert in the use of the tool, and an expert judge of whether that tool is effective.

Similarly, if you do any maintenance on your car, you can explain obvious problems: the wrench used to remove the tires slips off the bolts, and provides insufficient leverage; the oil filter can't be reached by any normal mortal; the windshield washer reservoir is so awkwardly positioned that I spill half the jug when I refill it; the hood keeps falling down when I try to check the oil; I can't read the oil dipstick even in normal light, let alone when it's cloudy; etc. etc.

What's the common thread here? You don't have to be a usability expert! All you have to do is use the product. When you discover that you can't do something easily or at all, you can tell the designers what the problem is and why, then leave it to them to fix it. What a usability expert brings to the process is the ability to put you through your paces with the product in such a way that you'll stumble across the most important problems before the product ships.

Ironically, Andrew is an advocate of "just do it" rather than "just think about it". It's the "just doing it" (using the tool) that identifies the usability problems, not the "just thinking about it" (abstract usability theory). The latter can reduce the number of problems real users will encounter, but it's no substitute for actually using the product. That's where you find out how well your theory maps to the user's reality.

<<Typically, as writers become more and more familiar with a product, its design, the users, and the marketing, they become better situated to assist with usability. But those other issues are prerequistites. If you storm in on day one proclaiming your expertise as a usability guru, you're likely to be shoved into a corner and ignored.>>

This is certainly true; engineers and programmers are "prove it!" types, and simple claims won't be accepted until they recognize you as someone whose opinion is worth heeding. But if you can demonstrate a significant problem, both groups are usually delighted to solve the problem, whether or not you can suggest a solution. If you understand the situation well enough to propose a solution, so much the better. Some developers are very insecure and won't accept suggestions that might make them look less competent, but these individuals are relatively rare. Just state your case helpfully, as a team member, rather than proclaiming from a position of overt moral superiority.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com