Re: 10 Things All Technical Writers Should Do

Subject: Re: 10 Things All Technical Writers Should Do
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:24:06 -0800

Harrumph.

As technical writers, one thing we should always do is establish appropriate limitations to the terms we're using. That's how we establish a context, and then keep ourselves and our readers within it. I'm reminded of a poor soul I once worked with who was asked to specify the desired behavior of a GUI object that was to be dragged to various locations in the app window. The spec would have begun with the invention of the mouse... Except that computers in general had to be explained in order to place the mouse in its proper context. Needless to say, somebody else wrote up the spec.
Programming, as the word is almost universally used, refers to a human activity - the intentional ordering of procedures, events, or other "processes", usually with an expected outcome. (Television programming, where the expected outcome is your continued exposure to sales pitches...) I guess you could call human experiments in chemistry programming, but even that's a stretch. It's more like cooking, where you throw things in a certain pot with certain parameters (heat, agitation, etc.), and let the ingredients order themselves according to natural processes. But I can't accept that core natural processes, like the weather, for example, are programming. They are process in their own right, and usually carry on in spite of activities that fall within the above definition of programming. Not only that, but the complexity of these processes (the weather, or even human thought) defy human intervention, prediction, and programming. (Well, thought may not be one of the more complex processes after all...)

Yes, it is remarkable that humans can perceive order in the universe, and political developments notwithstanding, that perception can indeed expand in its range. But at the heart of that understanding is a thorny question - does existing order lead us to understanding, or does our understanding impose an order? That question remains unanswered, and I doubt it will be answered here. I think I digress.

I fall into the camp that believes order precedes understanding. (That's a *belief*, mind you.) And so the idea that we *can* program proceeds from an observation of cause and effect in natural processes (real or imaginary). In that sense, it is absolutely worthwhile to investigate natural processes. A lamentable effect of our tech society is specialization. Maybe you should read "Consilience" by E. O. Wilson for hopes of a utopian world where the separate disciplines (science, philosophy, art, etc.) converge. But to equate programming and natural processes, at one stroke reduces the human achievement of understanding and "programing", and also elevates humans to god-like status. I'm not willing to do either. It reduces the human achievement by saying that programming exists absent human will. But the human will, an extension of the basic will to life, has developed into a will to understand, make order, express order - for better or worse. That is our crown jewel, so to speak, and I hate to see it denigrated.
At the same time, your claim says that human programming is on a par with natural processes. There's only one thing I can say about that...

Harrumph!

> This interpretation --computing imitates nature-- does have

> > that telltale ring of a dogma, doesn't it?

> Dogma?

Like a comforable way of looking at things, but not grounded in practical truths. Sort of like the dev team that has worked with the software for 18 months, and now dogmatically bel;ieves that the user interface is intuitive and a good fit for end users.

I don't think my suggestion that nature is "programming" is at all dogmatic,
in the extremely pejorative sense you are using the word. It's just common
sense to me, otherwise known as causality.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com